Documents needed to travel to America

Photo by Nicole Harrington on Unsplash

1. Visa

Depending on your nationality, reason and duration of the trip you will need to apply for a visa. The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) exempts citizens from some countries from traveling to the United States with a visa. These are Germany, Andorra, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, United Kingdom, Republic of Korea, Czech Republic, San Marino, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland and Taiwan.

Nevertheless, certain rules must be fulfilled, for example, that the purpose of the visit is by tourism or business and not to make a stay more than 90 days. In addition, you must have a roundtrip ticket issued by an airline or commercial cruiser who has signed the agreement with the Nationality and Immigration Service.

The visa application is compulsory if:

  • Your goal is to work or study in the United States.
  • You have been denied a visa to the United States before.
  • You have a criminal record.
  • You represent a media outlet and travel for professional reasons.
  • You travel for professional reasons, in the case of actors, musicians, athletes, artists and other similar occupations.
  • You travel on boats or private planes.
  1. Passport

In the case of visa-free travel, each tourist must carry an individual mechanical reading passport, including minors. This passport must have at least six months validity from the date of travel.

For the non-immigrant visa, valid passports are required with at least two blank pages. If you have any questions regarding your Passport, go or contact the entity that processes them in your country.

  1. Travel Insurance

This is a provisional measure especially for medical care or sickness since the United States is a safe country for the traveler. In addition, it is commonly used to solve problems with baggage and flights. The health care in this country is of first quality, but it is too expensive so we advise you to hire medical and travel insurance before traveling. Make sure you have 24-hour telephone assistance so that in case of emergency you will be told the nearest and best-quality medical Center.

  1. Credit card

In the United States you can pay by credit card in almost any place, but always leave a little cash for small payments and check the change of currency before traveling.

  1. Driving license or driving permit

In most cases with the unexpired license of your country you can rent a car without problems, but sometimes you need an international permit so we suggest that you consult that before traveling if you plan to rent a car.

  1. Traveler Registration

This document facilitates the contact and location of passengers in case of emergency.